October 28, 2012

Robert Lubanski's Interview



" I like the mystery of taking photos using the analogue, this uncertainty of results and especially the quality of the medium format, the big size of files and the possibilities that it gives : the wonderful scale of tones, superb DOF with low light lenses. Taking photos with medium format is not too easy for me and it gives me some eerie feeling of staling some part of the moment and sometimes part of model." Robert Lubanski









"Kasia"
Model Kasia Dowbor








Robert Lubanski, how did you get into photography ?

My first steps in photography were when I was 14 years old. But during these 20 years it was rather an unconscious photography, without thinking about it. Just simply pressing the shutter.


Did you learn photography in a special school ?

No, never. My school was studying the fashion, photomagazines (especially italian Vogue, french Photo and sometimes German Playboy and Max), and nature of course.







"Forest pilgrim"
versione duo
Art Model Claudia










"Waiting"
Art Model Claudia










This series is wonderful ! Who are your greatest inspirators ?

The biggest is mother Nature.







"Symbiose"
Art Model Claudia




I see it !... And your favorite photographers ?


I love photos of Helmut Newton, Patrick Demarchelier, Andreas H. Bitesnich, lately Sascha Huttenhain, and, maybe it's weird, Dahmane too.


Not so weird, he has a great talent. How long could you be far from your camera ?

Sometimes for a month, but mostly one week or a couple of days.


So you feel particularly inspired by a type of location...

Yes : forest, meadow, rocks, mountains, desert, the sea sometimes. I spent my childhood surrounded by nature. I was riding a motorbike with my uncle who was a beekepper, and now I'm in love with nature and our brothers - animals. (I believe that I’m an animal too !). Lately, I've been feeling better in old indoor locations without human beings.










"Sole due"
Art Model Inga





What are your preferences about lights ?


Outdoor with natural light is the best one for me. Sometimes when I shoot outdoor, I use reflectors to modify the natural light. Next year I’ll be using studiolight outdoor powered by a generator.








"Kocham"
Art Model Wrobelek
















How long did it take to find your own style ? Could you define it ?

My style is still indeterminate. I must have 1-2 years more and in this time I will get more defined, I think.


Is your photography mostly nudes ?

I prefer nudes. Naked body is like the form in nature (generally I suggest my models cover the face).


What is your process of creation ?

At the beginning of the session, I try to prepare the location and the gear but when I shoot it's a really emotional job.

And sometimes (not often) it may be chaos.


Could you tell us some words about your return to analogue and medium cameras ?

I like the mystery of taking photos using the analogue, this uncertainty of results and especially the quality of the medium format, the big size of files and the possibilities that it gives : the wonderful scale of tones, superb DOF with low light lenses. Taking photos with medium format is not too easy for me and it gives me some eerie feeling of staling some part of the moment and sometimes part of model.










"Look me in the eye"
Model Basia






What are your favorite themes ?


Composition of the beauty of a human body with nature.

The best is where the nature hasn’t too many elements. And second is a portrait, something transient in the eye or gesture of the model.


Some words about your models ?

They're mostly girls who want to have some photos like mine in their portfolio, but recently I have often made photos for money but then they are only for my eyes and the model.










"Confused"
Art Model Claudia












"Before"
Model Patrycja





How do you feel at the end of a shooting ?

I always feel like I could've done it better. I'm never pleased, my head is full of “better” ideas.


Same for me... Have you a special project, some challenges you're dreaming about in a near future ?

Yes. Next year I’ll be shooting in Croatia, searocks and forest especially. And I’m looking for a model who is not scared of riding a motorbike.


Yes ! Have you scheduled your next exhibition ?

No. In our Polish reality, exhibitions aren’t a good idea, I think, too many troubles and the final effect is not good enough. I have had some experiences with the exhibitions of my friends.


Is there a book to come ?

Yes I’m thinking about an album of nature nudes. Now I’m talking with two big sponsors, but I’m too young in it. The album will have a clean form with good, classical type, like Times, Swiss or something like this.










"In the darkness"
Art Model Inga





Keep us informed !... And besides shooting, have you another passion ?

Motorbikes of course. It really gives me the feeling of adrenaline, hard life and the smell of nature in the wind.


A message to send ?

I’d like to say that many people have good ideas for their lives but they are too scared. It’s very important to be in harmony with yourself, living without big money (it’s really possible that the money will come without struggling for it) and be happy. My moto is called DYFF, it means "do you feel free" ?



Thanks a lot Robert ! And see you soon.






"Free"
Model Anna






Robert Lubanski ©


No comments: