May 9, 2016

Simon Shadowshow : the story of the Hotel and Motel series

A new member of Univers d'Artistes




After some words on Facebook, I received these photographs with these kind words :
- Hi Chris. Some new work for you, from a world of sleazy hotels and motels :-)

I love kindness, we all love it. And I felt the "wow" factor. As Simon Shadowshow says : 

"The images themselves are a bit raw, grainy , blurred in places and far removed from high glamour and sterile studios." 

This way to do gives to his photographs a special atmospher I rarely saw. Helped with talented Art Models, Simon delights my eyes. So I am very happy to welcome him in Univers d'Artistes. Bravo Simon ! Please come back soon...





The story of the series

Hotel and Motel sleaze is what my work is all about at the moment. It used to be set pieces that looked like they were shot outside a carnival tent and before that it was burlesque dancers and showgirls. I think the underlying ‘theme’ remains the same even though the aesthetic has changed; a narrative where the viewer can create a backstory based on the subject and their environment.The images themselves are a bit raw, grainy , blurred in places and far removed from high glamour and sterile studios. 


I often quote the phrase "I'd rather be someone's shot of whiskey than everyone's cup of tea..." and that is at least partially true.

































No comments: